Cici Suen (UK)
COMICS GOLD MEDAL iJUNGLE ILLUSTRATIONS AWARDS 2019
1. Can you tell us a little about yourself, where you’re from, where you studied, and where you are at now?
I was born and grew up in Beijing, graduated from Camberwell College of Arts, University of Arts London in 2017. I’m living in London now..
2. Why did you become a comic artist/ illustrator?
I found my passion since I was a kid and my mom supported me a lot, so I went to art-focused middle school and then studied illustration in London. During the course in Camberwell, I discovered my own illustration style and started to draw comics.
3. What artists/things do you most admire and how did they influence your work?
I really admire Lorenzo Mattotti who is an artist from Italy. His powerful and emotional work influenced me a lot. 4. How did you find your style? Has it changed since you started? My style keeps changing and every time when I stuck I’ll try different materials to find a new world.
5. Can you briefly describe your creative process?
When I work on a graphic novel, I’ll read the whole novel and find a suitable style for it. I transfer the novel to storyboard sentence by sentence, make them connect very well then start to draw.
6. Best and worst part of your job.
Best: I enjoy every step of creating comic and illustration. Worst: I have to draw scary things sometimes. Once my project was about dissecting lab mice, but it was a good challenge.
7. Quick answers.
Favorite movies: I Lost My Body Favorite musics to work: Film soundtrack Favorite Hobbies: Following squirrel Magic wish: Give me three more right hands please
8. What is the best piece advice you’ve had, in regards to comics/illustration or otherwise?
Observe life and nature.
Short comic cooperate with Chinese writer Jiang Yitan.
The story is about a girl want to jump form the top floor and saved by the wind.
The element Water and a magician working with it along with symbolic animals, plants, shapes and colours.